Accident Checklist Download
What To Do If You Are Injured
When you or a member of your family sustains a serious personal injury, you should consider the following:
- Report every accident: Often minor accidents will cause injuries that first appear to be insignificant, but over time develop into significant disabilities. If you do not timely report your accident, you may prejudice your rights to recover for any injuries sustained.
- Seek medical treatment: We recommend that following any accident, you immediately seek treatment with your own physician. In cases where work related accidents occur, the employer often requests that you treat with the employers medical provider. In addition to being evaluated with the employers medical provider, you should seek treatment with your own personal physician, with whom you have developed a trusting physician/patient relationship. This will ensure that you are receiving the level of quality medical advice that you deserve.
- Do not give any statements without speaking to a lawyer: Although we request that you report every accident in a timely manner, you should only provide a detailed statement after consultation with an experienced attorney. Accidents often cause not only physical trauma, but emotional distress. Providing a detailed statement to an employer or insurance carrier without fully understanding the legal ramifications of the statement could have a negative impact on your claim.
- Call 911 for police and after EMS assistance, get medical attention.
- Write down the name, address, phone number and insurance information of the other drivers.
- Write down the make, model, year and license plate number of the other vehicles.
- Identify any possible witnesses. Get their names, addresses, phone numbers. If they don't want to cooporate, write down their license plate number.
- Do not make any statements to anyone about what happened, other than a police officer.
- Do not apologize or argue with the other drivers.
- Do not have your vehicle repaired until you contact an experienced accident attorney.
These suggestions are not intended to replace a legal consultation with an experienced attorney. Contact The Kantor Law Firm, for a free consultation. 1-877-SKANTOR